Vanguard Space Technologies specializes in the design and fabrication of lightweight, durable Solar Array Substrates. We have provided Substrates for the JUNO, MAVEN and Radiator Belt Storm Probe missions, among others. As a LM-144 qualified supplier, we can produce configurations ranging from simple graphite face sheet and aluminum core designs to complex multiple face sheet materials with internal features that require complex tooling and specialized processing.
Among our capabilities are:
- Large face sheet lamination with co-cured Kapton for frontside and backside applications
- Co-cure of Kapton sections to face sheet where placement is required to effect “islands” on the composite face sheet
- Precision placement of metal and compression molded internal features and fittings, co-cured in place during Substrate consolidation.
- Panel-in-panel Doublers co-cured during Substrate consolidation
- Substrate machining to standard 3-place tolerances
- Secondary insert bonding including precision location of hinge fittings, tiedowns, shear ties, ground inserts, handling and lifting inserts, and cable tie inserts
- Secondary bonding techniques that feature complex electrically conductive bonding with multiple two-part adhesive types and critical clocking of fittings
- Large Substrate thermal cycling capabilities to cryogenic temperatures (-190° C) with elevated temperature capabilities to +145° C
- Large Substrate non-destructive inspection (NDI) capabilities including through transmission air scan and pulse echo
- Static load testing with deflection measurements during testing using either LVDTs or ADM Laser Trackers
Click on any image to view it larger